Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oh The Possibilities

Even before your bags are packed you can feel the excitement New York City has to offer.

This excitement can quickly turn into an overwhelming sense that there won't be enough time in the day to see, visit, and eat all that the city has to offer.
This sense isn't a figament of your imagination.
It really is overwhelming. 
And you won't be able to get it all in.  At least not in one trip.

After you hit all of the must-see tourist spots here are a few to add to your list.

Eataly on 5th Avenue. 
I'm not sure I can even describe this place. 
It's a market of all things kitchen and cooking. 
It is a grocery store of all things fresh. 
And if that isn't enough to peek your interest, there are several restaurants mixed in between all of that food shopping experience.

It's Mario Batali's vision of putting yummy and unusual things under one enormous roof.

I've never heard of a Pepino Melon but I wanted to eat one.

And then there's the Stand that has been on Jenna's list. 
I blame chef Michael Symon, who listed the marshmallow milkshake from the Stand on
 TV Food Networks "The Best Thing I Ever Ate."

The restaurant sits between Union Square and Greenwich Village and the real name is Stand4.
We went to the Stand for Jenna's birthday.
Jenna and I have a small "thing" for Michael Symon. 
Afterall, he is an Iron Chef. 
And although we've never tasted his food, we are sure he has good taste.

So, we dug in to hamburgers and fries.
They were good.
And then the anticipation of tasting the milkshake, Chef Symon's recommendation.
It was all a little bit overwhelming.
I should mention here that when he gave this particular milkshake as his pick it was for the Sugar Rush episode of the "Best Thing" and during the filming he drank three of these bad boys.
Scott wasn't sold on any of it.  He is a self-diagnosed food snob.
I'm a bit of one myself but Michael Symon pushes my food snobbery to the side.
Milkshakes can be amazing.
And this one didn't disappoint.
It was delicious.
It was a marshmallow milkshake that will never be forgotten.
The greatest part about the eating experiences in New York that differs from say, Los Angeles, is the mere fact that you can leave your hotel or apartment, walk a block, and be dining at a fantastic place.  
In LA you need to pick the place, get in your car, sit in traffic, and then be at a fantastic place. 

GiginoTrattoria was my pick for dinner one night.
It's in Tribeca and it has amazing food.
I had to hold back on taking too many pictures because our table was in the center of the restaurant and our server thought I was crazy.
So you get one picture of the place.
I think the woman sitting at the far table wearing the Santa hat was a little more spectical than I was.
Food.  Glorious food.

3 comments:

Miss Heather said...

I am also a Michael Symon fan! And I'm with Jenna... that marshmellow milkshake has been tempting me since that episode aired!! I am SO JEALOUS of all your food adventures. That's one of my favorite things about NYC. I must go back!!!!!!

Tera said...

I had no idea there is an EATALY!!! I wanna gooooo!

Scott and Denise said...

Yes, you must go back and find new fun places to eat!!

Eataly is a place you could spend a few hours just walking around and then a couple more eating. It's amazing. I wish I had gone with just Scott and left the kids at the apartment!