Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Thursday, February 3, 2011

I Seriously Like What's on Your Head

In the words of P.D. Eastman:
 "Do you like my hat?"
"I do not."

There are hats and then there are hats.
The only time a Californian has an excuse for wearing a hat in the Winter is when they go to the snow.
Which of course is only 25 minutes away. (wink)

But seriously. 
 Hats can be a huge fashion statement.  We enjoyed walking past the various fashion statements everyday. 

These guys clearly knew I was taking their picture.  But I'm positive they were unaware of why I was capturing their beauty.  What are their hats saying to you?
A classic. 
This is my favorite one. It speaks volumes to me.
And if you notice the guy on the right doesn't have the same happy look.  It's the hat. 

Secretly wish I could wear 180s like these. 

Jenna told this guy that she really liked his hat.
She's brave and amused by me taking his picture. 

I captured a lot of fur donut hats like this one.  

We saw many sock monkey hats.
 So many in fact that we had to hunt one down on Canal Street for Jenna's head. 
Wow! That's a huge pom pom. 
No fashion here.  Just getting the job done. 
There's a funny thing that happens as a photographer.  As you are looking for that certain something or someone to take a picture of those somethings and someones usually just fall into your view.

Take for example this guy. What do you think he's looking at in his hand?
As I have him in my scope I realize that he's rolling a joint in the middle of Central Park.
Nice hat. 
There was a trend among the old and young to wear hats resembling animals. 
I'm not sure what the viking hat was all about but it made me laugh so hard when I saw it. 
Fluffy. 

When taking pictures of other people and their, shall we say uniqueness, sometimes it's just best to be stealth about it.  However, sometimes you get caught. 

This guy was pleasantly surprised I was taking a picture of him. 
I declined a ride on his guided surrey bike.
But I did tell him that I liked his hat. 

"Hello again.  And now do you like my hat?"
"I do. What a hat! I like it! I like that party hat!"

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I've always been a fan of "Go, Dog Go!" Cool hats!

Jenny said...

Brian commented on all the crazy hats in Wisconsin too. He even bought one to keep his ears warm. It looks like a pilot hat. When he brought it home, Cammi decided to sleep in it just like Miss Twiggley.

Miss Heather said...

I love all the hats! I LOVE hats because in Utah I can wear them for about half of the year! :)

Unknown said...

That Viking hat kills me! It wasn't until I moved to NY that I realized socks, scarves and hats are not simply fashion accessories.

Why don't you move here so you can become a full-time New York Blogger. Your posts are so funny.