Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Monday, August 2, 2010

A Drive by Shooting

The second part of our Hershey trip was to drive through Lancaster, Pennsylvania and visit the Amish country.  There were many people who, when Scott mentioned us going into Pennsylvania, suggested we make the stop in Amish country because it's worth the drive.  I'm not sure we appreciated it as much as other people did.  Maybe it was the heat, the humidity and the small roads.  I will say that Lancaster and the drive into Lancaster is beautiful.  There are beautiful farms, silos, and acres and acres of corn fields.  It's very peaceful and I can imagine that many farmers enjoy a really good nap when the field work is done for the day.









I think the best time to see the Amish country would be when they put on a festival and they invite people to make butter, build a barn, etc.  From what I've heard they do that festival once a year.   It wasn't going on while we were in town so we just drove around the small town and stopped off at the farmer's market.  I was surprised to see the Amish women working cash registers and calculators.  I refrained from taking any pictures at the farmers market, but some how left my camera at one of the booths.  We recovered the camera and I am grateful the Amish are such honest people. 

After driving around for too long I was left to do some drive by shootings of the Amish.  Not realizing that I was snatching a portion of their soul with every click of my camera, I took several pictures.  I apologize to those sweet people of whom I shot and I in no way intended to make a graven image of them.  I just find their life fascinating.






Pennsylvania is such a beautiful and peaceful state.  I apologize for the drive by shooting I did while visiting.


1 comment:

Miss Heather said...

Eh, I would have done the same thing. It's really pretty but I'm the same as you... I'd only really be interested if they were doing a barn raising/town festival kind-of-thing...