Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Sunday, August 22, 2010

Part Two to the Run - The Boathouse

This post is part two of the Conservancy Run in Central Park.
I don't want to bore you and so I'm trying to make the posts shorter. 
It's just really difficult when there is so much to say!

If you remember, way back when, the day of the Conservancy Run was during a New York heat wave.
I can't really describe what the heat and humidity does to a person.  The only way to describe it is to show you pictures of what it makes people do.  The hot, heavy, drippy air made me walk around Central Park in sweaty clothes and not even care what other people thought.  It made me use an outdoor porta-potty.  And those of you who know me know that this is something I will avoid at all costs.  The layers of sweat even made me think it was acceptable for each one of the kids to use those event porta-potties.
It is forbidden that I recall those porta-potty memories ever again.

Amidst the humidity though, there was beauty.


The heat made us think that going to The Boathouse was a good idea.
Was it really a good idea to row around in a metal boat during a heat wave?
The humidity said. "Yes. Rowing is a good idea.  It will be fun!"


Cute turtles basking in the heat on the shoreline.
We've seen so many turtles on this trip!




Please note that I did not post any pictures of myself in the boat.  I was really dripping with sweat. 
My clothes were a different color they were so sweaty. 

After rowing around the lake for almost an hour we headed back into the park to replenish our liquids.
Scott, sensing I wasn't the same person he had married, asked me if I wanted to change my clothes.
I was prepared for the sweat and I had packed a change of clothes.  I was lugging them around in a back pack.

Of course I wanted to.  Not to mention the fact that I desperately needed to.
I shockingly used a public restroom for the second time in one day.

The kids were hungry and we were all very thirsty so we made our way over to the Shake Shack.
It's a burger and shake place that is always crowded.  The restaurant uses quality ingredients and the burgers aren't disgustingly large.  The food was good and the liquids were even better.


Apparently we didn't want our sweating to end so we walked around the city a little bit more.

At one point we passed a woman who had a few cats in cages.  She was sitting outside a store front. 
The kids wanted to know if she was giving the cats away.
Scott replied, "No, the cats aren't free.  Nothing in New York is free."
At that very moment Ammon says, "Hey, look! They are giving away Italian Ice in that store.  It's for free!"

For FREE!

We proceeded on our journey and happened upon Magnolias. 
 We purchased some yummy cupcakes to be consumed at a later time.


Air conditioned room plus Italian ice equals happy children.

When you are carrying around precious cupcakes in the heat and in the miserable humidity it is imperative to make your way to an air conditioned location as soon as possible.
We made our way back to the car.  Scott had parked by the Manhattan Temple. So, a few blocks later we were safe and sound in our air condition haven.



Can you see why I needed to make the run a two part post?
And even this is too long!


3 comments:

Miss Heather said...

YAY! I love turtles and Magnolia Bakery!!! AAHH!! I wish I was there to party with you (although I'm pretty sure the heat would kill me... :))!!! LOVE YOU ALL SO SO SO MUCH!

Nicki said...

your pictures make me want to go to NY. I'm a little scared off by your description of the heat though. Do you know how incredibly cool it has been over here this summer? I don't mean to rub it in, I'm just saying definitely strange.

Scott and Denise said...

The heat. Oh, the heat is just crazy because of the humidity that comes with it! NY is perfect just not in the summer or winter...October or May are probably the loveliest. I'm jealous CA has been so cool up until last week. It's been raining and cool here for two days... Really weird.

Heather i love you too!