Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm and a Little Surveillance

I find it necessary to write about this trip to New York somewhat chronologically because the scenery changed dramatically on the third day.  I don't want to be too confusing. 
So, there is just a little more calm before the storm, literally.

I'm not a huge fan of Ferrero Rochero.  However, Scott loves Ferrero's and apparently a lot of other people do too.  I have never seen Ferrero Rochero's so huge.  I should have had a normal sized chocolate for a point of reference.  This display is probably 8 feet tall.


Last year, when we were here at Thanksgiving we saw the Rockette's Christmas Spectacular and so we opted not to see it this time.  But I highly recommend it.  It's an amazing production. 
The show ends with a live nativity.  Complete with sheep, goats, camels, and, well, all of the other animals.



I could really bore you with all of the window display pictures.  But I will refrain from posting all of the crazy pictures.  But I really liked the handbag store with the champagne glasses.


Nothing high-tech.  Just giant ornaments and Christmas lights hanging out in Manhattan.



On our way home we took the subway and walked through the tunnel instead of up on the street.
  It was a little windy and very cold.

As we start walking toward the passage
 I notice a lot of signage stating that the tunnel was under surveillance. 
No doubt to deter craziness from happening underneath the street of New York.


As we walk further into the passageway I notice the mosaics on the walls.
They're all eyes watching us.  These eyes lined the tunnel.
Clearly this isn't the surveillance that was referred to.
But whoever was in charge of the art had a clever sense of humor.



Here's a little peace window in Tribeca on Christmas night.

Now that Scott has a view of the Empire State Building at night I sometimes ask him what color it is. 
If it's a color other than white, the ESB color, I look it up on the website.  In the past they've had it lit for the ING NYC marathon, for Autism, Hanukkah, and almost every night while we were visiting, for Christmas.







1 comment:

Tera said...

So beautiful - everything!