Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Monday, January 3, 2011

In a Christmas State of Mind

For us, spending Christmas anywhere other than our own home was a big decision. 

 A big deal because I love Christmas and everything that surrounds it.  We are talking about familiar surroundings.  Not necessarily the surroundings of a big city with millions of people in it.  I will admit that I wasn't sure celebrating Christmas in New York was the best idea.  I wasn't sure that New York could offer me the same Christmas Spirit, if you will, that being surrounded in my own home offers me.

The decision was made.  The plane tickets purchased.  The bags were packed.
And once again, we found ourselves in New York City.  This time it was Christmas Eve.

Arriving at Scott's apartment was somewhat "Seinfeld-esque."  
We were living in Kramer's apartment, last door on the right.
A nice family lived in Jerry's apartment.



Christmas morning we woke up to a peaceful Manhattan skyline.



The Empire State Building in the distance.





We also caught a glimpse of the Manhattan Bridge everyday.

Are we really crazy to bring our dog on vacation with us? 













After opening a few presents, we were excited to get outside and hangout in the city.
Okay, I was excited to get out and about and do some adventuring.


Our first stop was the Winter Garden at the World Financial Center.
We checked the progress on the Freedom Tower. 
 The tower used to fit in my lense.  It doesn't anymore. 
I was surprised to see glass on some of the windows.  Very cool.














The weather machine says that snow is coming.



From the World Financial Center we took the subway to Herald's Square and began our self-guided walking tour of the Christmas window displays.
What I can say is that my camera doesn't capture the beautiful lights and the magic contained in the 2 mile walk...
















And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: “How could it be so?”
“It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
“It came without packages, boxes or bags!”
And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before!
“Maybe Christmas,” he thought, “doesn’t come from a store.
Maybe Christmas … perhaps … means a little bit more!”

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm glad you all had such a lovely time. Dad keeps talking about the beautiful view from the apartment. I love seeing all the decorations and store windows. Gorgeous! Marianne got the same pjs as J.

Scott and Denise said...

A www... They should have a slumber party! It was a fun time. At times it was a lot of people to keep track of! The view was amazing...I have pictures of the ESB when it was lit up for Christmas. It's in the 500+ pictures I took. Ha ha I'm not planning on posting all of them!

Jenny said...

I love all the pictures Denise! It looks & sounds like you had a fabulous time. I think it was really good for Dad to be there with you too! We missed you, but with face time, we almost felt like we were there with you.

Jenny said...

Oh, I forgot to add yay for the smurf!

Miss Heather said...

One of my Bucket List dreams is to spend Christmas in NYC. I'm SOOOO jealous! To me, NYC at Christmas is simply magic.

Alyssa said...

Jenna has the same PJ's that Emma has and my Mom likes the Smurf