Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's the Rock...The Magic Rock


I'm not sure what the top tourist destination spots are in New York City.  But if I had to make a guess it would be the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center.

Based upon real life experience if I had to guess the top tourist spot in New York at Christmas it would be "The Rock."  The magic Rock.

No doubt, the throngs of people in the picture below are tourists coming away from Rockefeller Center.

There were so many people, thousands really, on the plaza that I needed to raise my camera above everyone to capture the magical twig.  The Christmas tree that you are looking at has 30,000 LED lights and is between 75 and 90 feet tall.  The tree draws you in.  It's like nothing I've ever see before.  And the lines of people waiting to see it was somewhat like being at a World Series game (not that I would know, but I'm just saying... there were thousands of people taking in the magic).


The ice skating rink at the Rock was a very big draw on Christmas Day too.  There was a line from inside the rink, up the stairs, out to the plaza, around the trumpeting angels and down the other side.  Hundreds of people were standing in line waiting for their chance to skate underneath the Norway Spruce.

We did not stand in line.
We pushed our way through to find a spot on the edge that over looks the rink to see the Zamboni making the ice perfect.

See.  The tree just makes me want to take pictures of it.

Oh, the happiness on Christmas Day.
Nothing but smiles.


Maybe the magic of Rockefeller Center comes from this guy.
The gold statue of Prometheus who brings fire to mankind.
I don't know what it is but the statue is pretty cool too.


There were so many people that we really couldn't take a picture with the tree and us at the same time.
But if you'll notice the last picture I took of the tree has a random family in it...  I took the picture as we were walking away from the plaza.  Wanting to get one last look at the tree, I turned and took the picture.



It truly is a Rock.  A magical one at that.

No comments: