Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bikes and Garbage

Being in a city with nearly eight and a half million people you can't help but to people watch a little bit.  Sometimes even a lot a bit.  I've noticed a couple of weird things during these watching events: bikes and garbage.

I really wouldn't want to be a bike messenger or someone who delivers food in the city.  I wouldn't even want to ride around the city for exercise or even for leisure on a bike.  I believe the bicyclists, much like the people who drive cars here, take their lives in their own hands when their tires hit the road.  The traffic and the obvious disregard for lane lines is much like living in a third world country.  Despite what I think, there are many people who ride in the city and we have noticed them.  We notice them and we admire them too.

I sort of want to meet the person who rides this bike.
I'm thinking Mary Poppins!

Clearly this person rides with humor on their side.

These two bikes seem like they are still rideable.
I don't think they need to lock this one up anymore but it appears to have two locks on it.
I know why people take the seat with them when they chain up their ride.
But I think you're asking for trouble when you chain your bike right in front of the door like that.


I hope this bike survives the pole because it's obviously not in the safest of areas.
As you can imagine eight and a half million people can and do generate large amounts of garbage.  The garbage collection is a nonstop activity that goes on in the city.  It is literally garbage day everyday.  You figure this out really quickly because there are always piles of garbage bags where ever you are.  The good thing about garbage pick up in the city and even in Chatham is that you can put anything out on the curb and sanitation picks it up for you. 

I don't have a solution to their garbage collection.  I just find it really strange.

I know there's a toilet in there, but is that the kitchen sink too?
This is the trash from our neighbors yard.  He was getting rid of their swing set and trampoline -
the santitation picked this up too.  Trash in this town is picked up twice a week.

This is just a typical gutter.
Mind you, there's a trash can on every corner.

Those are garbage bags waiting in the hot and humid air just waiting to be picked up.

Ah, bike riding and taking out the trash.  It's a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Actually I'm kind of jealous. Our trash trucks won't take anything that doesn't fit in the authorized container. Well, they will if you pay $15 per item and schedule a special pickup!

Tera said...

How odd. Really very strange. I thought everyone out there was all about "green" and would be recycling fanatics. Instead they are cycling fanatics.