Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Friday, July 9, 2010

Cake Boss

One of the places that Jenna really wanted to go was Hoboken, New Jersey.  She occasionally watches the "Cake Boss" on TLC and she was excited to really go to this bakery.  We woke up on July 1 and I decided it was time for an adventure.  I was going to plug in Washington Street into the GPS and go to Hoboken. 

Now, some of you may not know this about me but I don't have a built in GPS system in my body.  My way of getting around when I'm sort of lost is to call Scott first and ask him what direction I should go.  He, of course, is at work when he gets the "I'm sort of lost" call.  He always knows how to get me onto the freeway, heading the right direction.   Obviously, he has the built in GPS system.  But I now have a car that has been blessed with one too!

My first introduction of driving on the New Jersey freeways was a scary experience or at the very least an eye opener.  There are no signs telling you what off-ramp is coming up or how far to the next city.  I'm now understanding that they don't have the off-ramp signs becaue they don't really have off -ramps.  I may be completely wrong in saying that but, truly, the off-ramp as you know it does not exist here.  You better just know where you're going and how to get there because signage is not going to help you.

After circling the area around Carlo's Bake Shop several times and after getting yelled at by a woman crossing the street, we found the perfect parking spot only two blocks away.  It was perfect.  Now only if the kids could wait in the line that I had noticed while circling the block! 

The line went around the corner but only ended up being a 35 minute wait.  It wasn't bad because we did a lot of people watching (again).  Alec and Heath shared a water on a bus stop bench and before we knew it, it was our turn!  The guy at the front door asked me how many people we had. I said, "Five." And with that he gave us the go ahead!  At that very moment we hear this cheering from inside the bakery.  The guy opens the door.  We walk in feeling the anticipation of being in Buddy's bakery.  We step over the threshold and there's Buddy behind the counter!  Jenna is so happy.  She says, "Hi, Buddy!"  He tells her hello and says thanks for coming in... Wow!


It was cool.  But we needed to get our goods and get out of there.  If you've ever seen the show and noticed what the shop looks like at the front counter, well, let's just say that's really what it looks like.  There's no staging that "reality."  It's full of people.  Everyone has a number and you better know what you want.  This is New Jersey people... you either speak up or forget about it!

Five large M&M cookies and one vanilla-chocolate buttercream cake with chocolate ganache later we were on our way out the door.  We headed back onto the crazyway and found our way back home. 



Carlo's Bake Shop is for real.  Next time I plan on taking Scott with us.  Hoboken is not a place to be after dark!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Very impressive! I'm glad the boys were back from camp in time to sample the sweets. Did they have a good time? Is scout camp different back east?

Scott and Denise said...

Well... this was last week. We had only been here four days. I think I was still having jetlag. When Scott got the text that I was heading for Hoboken he thought I was a little crazy. He now says that Hoboken is a great place to go at night...it's one big party. So, you know what it looks like in the day. The boys come back tomorrow. I hope they had a great time. I'm just glad that they are apparently safe because I didn't get a phone call about a bone being broken etc.! I'll let you know if they had fun!

Marianne said...

Everything looks so yummy! I have never watched that show but have heard of it before. I did read about some of your experience on Jenna's pink blog, but it was cool to now see pictures. It has been fun to read your blog, and I want to hear more about Scott and Heath getting kicked out of the Planetarium. :) I'm so glad you're blogging!

Tera said...

So awesome, and I'm so proud of you for just doing it... by yourself! Yum-o!

Miss Heather said...

Although I actually find Cake Boss to be fairly annoying to watch (I'm a Duff/Ace of Cakes girl), I'm SO jealous you went there and took pics and ate yummy treats! :)

Nicki said...

But how was the cake? Was it yummy?