Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Friday, July 23, 2010

Two Gentle Reminders

We have lived in Chatham for almost four weeks.  I'm not sure if the time has gone by quickly or not but almost everyday I am reminded of California.  It has nothing to do with the lack of California that I see.  It's more like the synonyms of California that I keep seeing.

The first is a gas station.  There's nothing special about this particular station except for its name.  When I first saw the station with its big "Getty" name I thought of the Getty Center.  We usually hit the Getty Center a couple of times during the summer.  This summer will be the exception.  The second thing I noticed about this station was the price of gas.  What?  Gas is below three dollars?  How can this be?  When we were driving to the airport and I was taking my last looks at our neighborhood I distinctly remember gas sitting at $3.35.  Clearly above three dollars.  I haven't seen gas in the two dollar range for a very long time.


The second funny thing that reminds me of California is a silly bumper sticker.  We don't indulge ourselves in using bumper stickers, although bumper stickers are harmless enough and sometimes they make me laugh.  So, I kept seeing this particular sticker while driving and wondered what and why would someone be advertising the Los Angeles International Airport.  Yes, I know.  I see the little writing below the LAX.  It's hard to read when you are traveling at 35 miles per hour.  Obviously people aren't saying they love LAX! 
 People are really into lacrosse on the East Coast and it just happens to look like they love Los Angeles.



These reminders make me smile because they remind me of home.

No comments: