Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Thursday, July 29, 2010

Liberty Science Center


On a very rainy and dark mid-morning we gave Nadine, our GPS lady voice, the coordinates for the Liberty Science Center in Liberty State Park.  I was sure this was the right thing to do as the rain was very heavy and it just seemed like it wasn't going to let up any time soon.  Or at least in the next several hours.

  I was feeling very confident that we could make it there and back without getting lost.  After all, I have Nadine in my face and Ammon, who has a built in GPS in his body, at my side.  The Science Center isn't too far but you need to go across a bridge to get there and pay a toll and navigate the crazy roads of New Jersey.  Thankfully we made it without incident.

This is the IMax theater from the outside.
This science center is huge (to say this, leave off the "h" and just say, "uge")!  It has the world's largest IMax screen and has four floors of with hands-on interactive science learning going on.  It was the right destination on such a rainy day.

I don't know which section was their favorite: the power of water, life on Mars, the power of the sneeze, or just watching the Hoberman ball contract and expand. 

Located on the first floor is a skyscraper exhibit.  This exhibit was my favorite.  It was interactive, informative and the photographs of the buildings were very well done.  They had two beams from the World Trade Center on display.  I wanted to get a picture of the beam but the beams were too big and the angle wasn't right.  Both beams were bent in half.  Not broken.  Just bent.  The more I looked at the beam through my lense the more I realized again the enormity and tragedy of the attack at the World Trade Center.  It caused me to pause and I felt water in my eyes.  I'm not going to cry at the Science Center.  I left the beam untouched by my camera but I have a picture in my mind that I will never forget.



After roaming the center and even going back for seconds we decided that we had our fill of science for the day.  When we emerged from the massive building it was sunny and extremely humid.  I had no idea storms roll in and roll out so quickly.

However, you can't go to the Science Center without visiting Liberty State Park.  So, our journey was not over.  We took a short drive to an area that is normally packed with cars.  But who would possibly be out in this heat?  The answer became very apparent when we stepped out onto the viewing area.  No one.  No one would be out in this heat.




I stand by my decision to take the kids to the Science Center.  We hung out at the park for awhile.  We stayed just long enough for the sweat to start drying and another round of sweat appearing.
 We got in the car and drove back home with the a/c on high.

1 comment:

Miss Heather said...

That is SUCH a cool place! When I was in NYC I went there and LOVED it! I'm glad you took them, despite the heat. :)