Observations From A Bicoastal Family



Friday, July 16, 2010

Liberty

When I think of the East Coast, and even when I reference its proximity to other states, I often use the term "squishy."  It is squishy because everything is so close together.  We are 4 1/2 hours from Washington DC, 5 hours from Boston, 3 hours from Palmyra and add two hours to that and we are at Niagra Falls.  So, with the squishy factor in full effect we are trying to take advantage of it.

Last Saturday the boys arrived home from attending Scout camp in New York.  They had a great time but I don't think they appreciated our proposal of taking a day trip because of the amount of sleep they had in the past week.  The four of us had been sleeping in nice, comfortable beds, so we didn't have a problem with traveling into Pennsylvania. 

Scott and I had never been to Pennsylvania before so it was kind of an adventure to figure out where to go and what we should see.  Well, it's not really that adventurous because we just type in, "Philadelphia with kids," into Google Search and your trip is planned out for you.

Philadelphia is a very cool city.  I was actually surprised at it's beauty.  I know the city is struggling economically but I think the history and spirit of our nations beginnings allow this city to let off a certain beauty that I can't really describe. 

I won't bore  you with all of the pictures I took.  But here are a few from the day.



 

After walking around for a few hours we needed food.  We had no idea where to go but this area around Liberty Hall is also very squishy, so we knew it would just be a matter of blocks before finding a place to eat.  And we were right.  We found this crowded restaurant called "Jones."   Six of us waiting for a table with the other dozen people also waiting to eat was a little like musical chairs, except for the standing up part, because the waiting area sort of blended into the restaurant.   The waiting area was squishy too.  Oh my.

Anyway, you need to go to "Jones" when you're in Philadelphia.  It has olive green shag carpet.  Swivel chairs and booth seating, high ceilings, and great music playing in the background.  It has really delicious food and great service.  They should pay me for this advertisement.  But seriously, really great restaurant.

Alec even wrote his sentiment in Ketchup.

On our way out of Philadephia we headed toward the Philadelphia Art Museum.  I think that's what they call it.  We were not anticipating being art admirers on this trip but we did need to run the 72 stairs and see Rocky Balboa.



Adrien!
I'm so glad the East Coast is squishy.

7 comments:

Miss Heather said...

"Squishy" is the cutest term EVER and it's so true about the entire upper east coast!! I'm glad you're having fun! I've never been to Philly so I'm super jealous you ran up the Rocky steps!!! :)

Melanie said...

We missed out on Jones when we went to Philadelphia. It really is a beautiful city! Your kids are going to LOVE Palmyra and Niagra Falls although things definitely aren't as squishy there. After leaving the Falls we started on our way and couldn't find anywhere to eat. We ended up at the scariest fast food place I've ever been in. You'll have to ask my kids about it.

Tera said...

I'm envious of your squishiness! Glad you are having a great memorable time with your family.

Jenny said...

Sounds like Philly was awesome! Hope Heath had a great birthday!

Nicki said...

Here I am! I'm visiting your blog so that I don't miss you as much! Thank you for texting me the pic of Liberty Bell. It was WAY COOL! We should it to Grant and he said, "That Liberty Bell looks like the bad guys head in Star Wars." Hmmm, go figure!

Scott and Denise said...

We are having a fun time together! Heath's birthday was good... he picked out his own cake and his own ice cream. He knew exactly what he wanted. I can't believe he's 7.

That's very funny about the Star Wars helmet comment. I love that!

Amy said...

Um, can I just say you guys are like my favorite people in the world??? P.S. If you guys are baseball fans you should hit the baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown...since you're in squishy land...